1. It is necessary that an efficient worker his
work on time.
A. accomplishes B. can accomplish C. accomplish D. will accomplish
2. I know this is the right train. The ticket agent said it would
be on .
A. Platform Three B. the Platform Three C. Third Platform D. The
3. William is very hardworking, but his play is not
for his work.
A. enough good B. good enough C. as good enough D. good as enough
4. I won't take Susan's pen because I don't like
A. that pen of hers B. that her pen C. her that pen D. that pen
5. I didn't call the hotel to make a room reservation, but I
A. may have B. must have C. should have D. shall have
6. My sister will be here tomorrow, but at first I thought that
A. was coming B. is coming C. must come D. may come
7. Land belongs to the city; there is thing
as private ownership of land.
A. no such a B. not such C. not such any D. no such
8. The flats I have looked at so far were too expensive. So I'm
better off where I am.
A. stay B. staying C. to stay D. stayed
9. Since the family are moving to a new house, they have to buy
A. a lot of B. many C. a few D. as
10. My son walked ten miles today. We never guessed that he could
A. / B. such C. that D. as
11. If talks for the new trade agreements take
, food industries in both countries will be seriously affected.
A. much too long B. too much longer
C. too much long D. much long
12. You and I could hardly understand each other, ?
A. could I B. couldn't you C. could we D. couldn't we
13. We the visitor with an apartment,
but he specifically asked for a single room.
A. could provide B. could have provided
C. couldn't provide D. couldn't have provided
14. The missile is designed in such a way that once
nothing can be done to retrieve it.
A. fired B. being fired C. they fired D. having fired
15. , he would not have recovered so
A. Hadn't he been taken good care of
B. Had he not been taken good care of
C. Had not he been taken good care of
D. Had he been not taken good care of
1. Nowhere in nature is aluminum found free, owing to its always
with other elements, most commonly with oxygen.
A. being combined B. having combined
C. to combine D. combined
2. Physics is the present day equivalent of
used to be called natural philosophy, from most of present-day
A. which, what B. that, which C. what, which D. what, that
3. On no account ever leave the
baby at home alone.
A. should you B. you should C. shall you D. you shall
4. the center of our
planetary system was considered as heresy by the church in the
A. It is the sun and not the earth is
B. That the sun and not the earth is
C. Being the sun and not the earth is
D. The sun and not the earth is
5. The reason that his property was confiscated by the country,
it , was that he was involve in a lot
of fraudulent activities during the war.
A. was turned out B. was being turned out C. being turned out D.
6. I'd rather you by train because
the weather forecast said there would be heavy snow, tomorrow.
A. went B. should go C. will go D. go
7. Einstein won the Nobel Prize in 1921 and enjoyed great fame in
Germany until the rise of Nazism he
was expelled from Germany because he was a Jew.
A. when B. who C. then D. which
8. Nowhere but in the remotest region of the country
find a place to settle down.
A. can he B. he can C. he D. for him to
9. With one leg broken in that car accident, he cannot even walk,
A. let alone B. that’s to say C. not to speak D. not to mention
10. , she led a life of complete
A. Being disgraced B. Disgraced C. Disgracing D. She was disgraced
11. It to see so many children in
that mountainous area cannot even afford elementary education.
A. pains her B. makes her pain C. is paining D. is pained
12. Our boss, Mr. Thompson, a
raise in salary for ages, but nothing has happened yet.
A. was promising B. has been promising
C. promised D. has promised
13. A dream is to a person is wings
are to a bird.
A. that B. which C. what D. as
14. The man sitting opposite me smiled dreamily, as if
something pleasant in the past.
A. to remember B. remembered
C. having been remembered D. remembering
15. I him the Christmas gift by
mail because he came home during the Christmas holidays.
A. ought to have sent B. couldn't have sent
C. must have sent D. needn't have sent